Blog description

Adventures in homeschooling our little angels. Join us in finding out what lessons God has in store for us!

Monday, September 27, 2010

Let's Go Fly a Kite...

...up to the highest heights....So here we are again. This post is probably very predictable, but that's what kids (and I) love - routine and predictability.

For our review, we wrote the letter "J" in a plate of pinto beans. You can also do this with rice, sand, other types of beans, pudding or fingerpaint. The girls then spent some time writing other letters and playing while I got organized for our lesson.
We are on letter "K" now, so after practicing writing the letter, we played a game. Each girl got two index cards - one said "yes" and the other said "no." I would say a word, and if the word started with a "K", they held up the "yes" card, and if it did not start with a "K", they held up the "no" card.
After that we decorated kite shapes with Do-A-Dot markers and stickers. When they were done with their designs (Sophie did two), I had them cut out their kites and glue them to black paper. I was surprised at how well Zoe did with her scissors. Cutting with scissors is one of those skills that we don't get to as often as I would like, but I found these kite patterns on Preschool Express in their Pattern Station, and I think I'm going to include more cutting in our future lessons.
For Sophie's first kite, she wanted to make a pattern. For the second one she decided to just put colors all over in random places. She kept asking me if I liked her kite. I try not to overdo the praise, so after telling her twice that she was doing a good job, I asked her what she thought of it. She told me she thought her kites were beautiful and that she liked the first one she did better. I also try to praise the process more than the product by saying things like, "I like how you're working so carefully" or "I can tell that was challening for you. I'm proud of you for sticking with it."


For our math lesson today, we played with smaller kite cut outs that I had colored in a variety of different colors. I made patterns with the kites, and then the girls took turns extending the patterns. For example, I put purple, blue, purple, blue and then said, "What comes next?" Then I would have them extend the pattern a few more times. They also took turns making their own patterns (Zoe is much better at this than Sophie) and asking me to extend them. We ended our math lesson with a round of bingo.

And of course we can't forget about snack: banana wheels with peanut butter, clementines, raspberries and yogurt covered raisins. For storytime, Zoe chose a book about Rosh Hashana (Ari and the Rosh Hashana Train) and Sophie wanted to read a story out of her Curious George anthology. I tried my hardest to get her to pick Curious George Flies a Kite (an obvious choice given the lesson) but she chose Curious George Takes a Job. We had hoped to get to fly a real kite this afternoon, but by the time Chloe was up from her nap, the winds weren't strong enough. Oh well, maybe next time!









No comments:

Post a Comment