Blog description

Adventures in homeschooling our little angels. Join us in finding out what lessons God has in store for us!

Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Game Day

Today the girls were feeling a little under the weather, so after doing a quick "L" worksheet, we just played a couple of games.

For the first game, you just need index cards with all of the letters on them, both upper case and lower case. I spread out the upper case cards on the floor. I made sure all of the cards were facing the same way so there would be no confusion about the "M" and "W" or the "N" and "Z", and then I showed the cards to the girls. Next, we went to the other side of the room (it helps if you have a long space) and the girls stood side by side. I gave each girl a card with a lower case letter on it. I instructed them to look at the letter and picture in their minds what the matching upper case letter looks like. Then I said, "Ready, set, go!" The girls had to run, find the matching letter, and get back to me. This is where having more than one child is helpful because a little healthy competition is a good thing! Once they got back to me, they had to say the name of the letter and tell me a word that starts with that letter. This was a fun game, and also gave me some good information. Sophie mixed up her "J" and "F", and Zoe got stumped when she thought her "d" was a "p", which Sophie had already picked up. She stood saying, "Mommy, you forgot to put the "D" out!" My girls can easily sit at our table where we do school for an hour or longer, but games like this are great for kids who need to get up and move around, who are bodily/kinesthetic learners, or in between lessons when kids are getting a little glazed in the eyes.
After the alphabet game, we played a number order game. I took index cards numbered 0-15 and put them in a path in order. The girls had to follow the cards (kind of like a live connect-the-dots), and only if they followed them in order would they find the surprise (a special message from me).
Today's snack included whole grain crackers, cheddar cheese sticks, apple smiles and ham roll-ups. The girls had fun making different sandwiches (ham, cheese, cracker; apple, cheese; etc.) and commenting on how it tasted. We read some stories and then had some quiet rest time. Hopefully the girls are feeling better tomorrow - it's our busiest day of the week: dance/gymnastics, TOTS and yoga!





1 comment:

  1. Keep up the good work! I can't think of anyone better to teach the girls.

    ReplyDelete