Blog description

Adventures in homeschooling our little angels. Join us in finding out what lessons God has in store for us!

Thursday, December 16, 2010

Centers

For the past couple of weeks I've been busy making "centers" for the girls. In a regular classroom, centers are an important management tool, allowing the teacher to work with small groups of students, while the other groups work independently on activities that are designed to be review or enrichment. I'm using the centers as independent work, so while I'm working with the girls individually, the other one has an activity to do. Sometimes the girls do the centers together while I get materials ready for our lesson or deal with the baby.
This is the center I just finished putting together. I got it from The Mailbox. The idea is to match the number words (learning our number words is one of our objectives for December) to the correct gumball machine. This is a self-checking activity. On the back of each gumball machine and on the back of each number card is the numeral, so the girls can check their work by flipping over the cards and making sure the numerals match.

No comments:

Post a Comment